Trump Orders 1,000 Space Launches a Year by 2030 — That's 5x Today's Pace

President Donald Trump signed a memo Thursday directing federal agencies to dramatically ramp up commercial rocket activity, setting a target of at least 1,000 launches and re-entries annually by 2030, according to Reuters.

Last year's total sat at 178 launches - already 10 times the 2013 figure. Reaching 1,000 would mean roughly a fivefold jump from current levels.

The memo directs agencies to look at federal land for new launch and re-entry sites, and calls for a new federal re-entry site to be identified within 90 days. Officials are also told to expedite permitting, speed up environmental reviews and secure adequate wireless spectrum for launches, per Reuters.

SpaceX Still Runs the Table

Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (NASDAQ: SPCX) dominates the current launch cadence and stands to benefit most from any near-term surge.

SpaceX carried out 170 launches in 2025 and deployed about 2,500 satellites. Its ambitions extend well past government targets - the company said in January it wants to eventually field a constellation of one million satellites to help power AI data centers from orbit, and the Federal Aviation Administration's chief said in May that SpaceX aims to hit 10,000 annual launches within five years.

Rocket Lab Eyes a Bigger Slice

Rocket Lab Corp. (NASDAQ: RKLB) offers a smaller but growing alternative. The company has built a reputation on frequent, smaller-payload missions and could see incremental launch volume as agencies push to diversify beyond a single dominant provider.

Faster permitting and new government-identified sites would lower some of the barriers that have historically slowed newer entrants.

White House Office of Science and Technology Policy Director Michael Kratsios framed the memo as a "commercial-first approach," pairing the launch targets with a broader lunar and Martian push.

Moon by 2028, Mars on the Radar

Trump wants American astronauts back on the moon by 2028, with initial Moon Base elements by 2030. NASA has been directed to support commercial transportation to the moon and commercial robotic access to Mars, while exploring paths to eventually send humans there too.

The memo also tells agencies to avoid competing with private launch providers unless national security or public safety demands it. Congress had pushed NASA to remain committed to the Artemis moon program even as Trump officials floated a heavier focus on Mars earlier in his term.

Investors in both SPCX and RKLB will likely watch closely for follow-through - permitting speed and site announcements over the next 90 days could be the first real signal of how fast this target moves from memo to launchpad.